Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Cultural Identity

Today I went to the Hills Youth Forum. It's where the Baulkham Hills Shire Council gets like input from youth about youth.

Today, in my group, we talked about culture and identity and how youth today find segregation among peers based on race. Seeing as how i go to a predominantly multicultural school (aka selective schools - where there are so many Asians, you can play the game "spot the Aussie") I found it interesting how this occurs in other high schools.

I'm bringing this topic up as at the beginning of the forum we had this entrepreneur giving a speech about opportunities for youth and so on and so forth. His name was Colin Something ( i have a really bad memory... it amazed me that i actually remembered his first name.) Through out his speech he told a couple of stories. One was about a Chinese farmer and his son. I can't really remember what the story was supposed to tell us... but that isn't put of the point I'm trying to make. For the duration of the story he used a Chinese accent (he was Chinese-Malay that came to Australia 8 yrs ago... so his accent was pretty good) . He also did another story about some Indian dude while using an Indian accent (He could rival Russell peters with the way he did his accents) Anyways... me and along the rest of the people from my school found this very funny... seeing how it was supposed to be. But what we found is that we had to kind of stifle our laughter as none of the other audience member found this humerus. Why? because people aren't comfortable with the other cultures around them.

Why is this so?

For generations, Australia has been a multi-cultural society. Then why are people still uncomfortable with other cultures?













My answer... I don't know ( that's why i asked the question in the first place... Der!!!)

Anyways I just wanted to put it put there to make people aware that there are issues regarding the way people perceive other races.


Also on another note... another person who spoke to us was like this random dude who always spoke in a monotone. So for like half an hour we were "listening" to him talk about what he put on a power point. ( i put listening in quotation marks seeing as how i fell asleep halfway through... i mean can you say BORING!!!)

anyways....
From a deranged lunatic... i bid you farewell.

No comments: